Tax Attorney in Hempstead
Civil Penalty Supportive, Genuine Representation You Can Trust

Civil Tax Penalty Attorney in Hempstead

Helping You Avoid Civil Penalties for Tax Issues in Nassau County

A civil tax penalty is a government-imposed penalty for failing to properly file or pay taxes in accordance with tax laws. Civil penalties can be issued by the state or by the IRS. Though less severe than a criminal tax penalty, civil penalties should still be taken seriously and addressed right away.

If you are facing a civil tax penalty, let me help you find a solution to your problem. I am a skilled Garden City tax attorney who has helped numerous individuals and businesses avoid the stress and the financial burden of a civil penalty. I understand how hard it can be to face a penalty, especially if you are already in a tight spot financially. Wynne Law, P.C. is here to help.

Contact me online or call (516) 246-2280 to discuss your case during a free consultation.

IRS Civil Penalties

If the IRS has reason to believe that you strayed from its strict tax code, it may issue a civil penalty against you.

Civil penalties are often issued for:

  • Failing to file
  • Late payments
  • Accuracy issues on tax returns

Civil penalties are always in the form of a fine – you cannot go to jail or face criminal charges if you receive a civil penalty.

That said, civil penalties can add up and wreak havoc on your finances. It is important that you seek legal representation to mitigate the impact of a penalty or to have the penalty reversed entirely. I can present a strong case to the IRS on your behalf.

Did you Forget to File Your Taxes?

Tax season is a busy time for everyone. Did you forget to file your taxes by the April 15th deadline? Not sure of what happens next? According to the IRS if your return wasn't filed by the due date or your given extension of time to file; the following steps may happen:

  • Unless you have good reason for your late file, you may have to pay the failure-to-file penalty

  • Unless the IRS approved your extension application, tax that is not paid in full by the original due date of the return (April 15th) you may have to pay the failure-to-pay penalty

  • You will be charged interest on taxes not paid by the original due date, regardless of your approved extension application

  • There's no penalty for failure to file if you're due a refund. However, you will risk losing your refund completely if you miss the filing deadline

We understand this is a stressful time. Wynne Law, P.C. is here to help you figure out your next steps and give you options! Give us a call today to set up a consultation for your case!

New York State Responsible Person Assessments

If you are a business owner in New York, you should know that any sales or withholding tax money is not your own revenue. You are responsible for collecting all sales and withholding tax money and handing it over to the state. Failure to do so could result in a penalty if New York State (NYS) deems you to be a responsible person.

A responsible person is someone who:

  • Is actively involved in daily business operations
  • Is involved in paying financial obligations
  • Has the authority to sign checks
  • Is able to hire/fire employees
  • Prepares tax returns
  • Has jurisdiction over business decisions
  • Is a tax manager or general manager

If you are a responsible person, you will be held liable for the business’s tax obligations. As a knowledgeable and experienced Garden City tax lawyer, I can represent you if you are facing a responsible person assessment or if the state is pursuing you for your business’s tax obligations. Each case is unique, requiring a personalized approach. I offer one-on-one attention and client-focused representation for individuals facing difficult tax liability.

To learn more about civil penalties, call me at (516) 246-2280. I look forward to discussing your case.

Contact Us Today!

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.